This robust fern with graceful light green foliage on triangular fronds a foot wide grows 3 to 4 feet tall with equal spread. Its foliage turns bronze in fall. Rhizomatous clumps spread to form colonies. It is native to the southern U.S.
CareProvide well-drained soil and part shade or full shade. With adequate moisture, this fern will take more sun than most. Tolerates moist and dry conditions. Its aggressive growth may need to be controlled.
PropagationDivide in spring or summer.
ProblemsRust, scale insects, and leaf curl.
- Genus : Thelypteris
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest