‘Chocolate Shogun’ astilbe features unique dark purple-brown foliage that creates long lasting color in any partial sun to shade garden. It produces pink spike blooms that flower in early summer and are deer resistant.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsDark purple foliage.
CareAstilbes need a moist spot for best performance. Other than that and deadheading spent blooms (if you want), they won't need much from you.
PropagationAstilbes can be divided in spring or fall.
ProblemsIf the soil is dry or they are in too much sun, the leaves will crisp up.
- Genus : Astilbe
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Foliage Color : Black, Purple/Burgundy
- Uses : Color, Foliage, Front Yard, Shade, Small Spaces, Wet Areas
- Characteristics : Deer Resistant, Showy Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Disease resistant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest, Spring Interest, Summer Interest
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.