Western sword ferns abound in the forests of the Northwestern U.S. They are robust, reliable, and virtually maintenance-free. They put up with difficult soil and manage to keep up appearances even in hot, dry weather. Their deep green, leathery fronds are attractive year-round.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis low-maintenance U.S. native fern has evergreen, leathery fronds.
CareProvide partial to full shade and fertile, well-drained soil. Trim off the oldest fronds each spring.
PropagationDivide in spring.
- Genus : Polystichum
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.