Northern maidenhair fern's curved fronds have wiry black stems that wave in the wind. This plant spreads slowly (by branching rhizomes) and eventually forms large colonies. Its delicate texture looks most beautiful when paired with broad-leaved plants. -June Hutson, Regional Picks: Midwest, Fine Gardening issue# 127
CareMoist, well-drained soil. To keep the frilly fronds looking good, supply water during the growing season.
PropagationBy division or from spores.
- Genus : Adiantum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Growth Rate : Slow