This shrub produces abundant, long-lasting, coral-red to scarlet berries, which stand out against dark-green, glossy leaves.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsShows off in winter, with its evergreen foliage and bright red berries.
PropagationRoot semi-ripe cuttings in summer.
ProblemsFungal root rot, fungal stem and leaf diseases. Mealybugs.
- Genus : Ardisia
- Zones : 10, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Uses : Shade
- Characteristics : Showy Fruit
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Winter Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.