This broadly columnar to spreading tree has peeling brown bark, three-palmate mid-green leaves, and brilliant orange-red fall foliage. It grows up to 30 feet tall and 25 feet wide.
CareProvide fertile, moist, well-drained soil in full sun or partial shade
ProblemsAphids, scale and caterpillars. Mites can cause leaf spot gall in several species. Fungal leaf spots and root rots are common.
- Genus : Acer
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Green, Yellow
- Characteristics : Interesting Bark, Showy Foliage
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Uses : Shade
- Plant Type : Trees
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.