This slow-growing understory tree has highly ornamental, peeling orange-cinnamon bark. Its dark green, three-lobed leaves turn a brilliant orange-red in autumn.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsOne of the best small ornamental trees, paperbark maple has small yellow flowers in spring, great fall foliage color, picturesque peeling park, and a stately habit.
CareBest in moist, well-drained soil in sun to part shade.
PropagationSow fresh seeds in a container, or graft cuttings in late winter.
ProblemsAphids, scale and caterpillars. Mites can cause leaf spot gall. Fungal leaf spots and root rots are common.
- Genus : Acer
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Characteristics : Interesting Bark, Showy Fall Foliage
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
- Flower Color : Yellow