Compact and rounded, the Shantung maple reaches a mature height and spread of 25 feet by 30 feet. The leaves grow to 5 inches long and have five to seven lobes, resembling the leaves of the Sweetgum ( Liquidambar styraciflua ). Leaves emerge purple in spring and become glossy and medium green during the growing season. In autumn, the starry leaves blaze into shades of yellow and orange, accented by reds and purples. Samara (fruit) are red.
CareProvide fertile, moist, well-drained soil in full sun or partial shade.
ProblemsNo serious insect or disease problems.
- Genus : Acer
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees