Snow-in-summer is great for rock gardens and dry areas, and also works well as a container plant. Plant it on a stone wall for a cascading effect. Snow-in-summer needs room to perform. A single plant can carpet an area as wide as a yard across. After the flowers fade, the silver/grey foliage shines on in contrast to more predictable shades of green.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThese plants can be short-lived.
CarePlant in a sunny spot in well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seeds in spring indoors or after last frost, divide plants in spring or autumn, or sow seeds in autumn after last frost.
Problems No serious problems other than root rot.
- Genus : Cerastium
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast, Moderate
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Silver/Grey
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches
- Flower Color : White