English daisy bears stems topped with a single white, daisy-like flower. The flowers are tinged maroon and yellow; but cultivars are available with single, semi-double, or double button flowers in shades of white, pink, salmon, and ruby. The plant’s smooth, spoon-shaped leaves form neat rosettes. This carpeting perennial is often grown as a biennial. Its many cultivars are used for bedding out or container displays.
CareIt prefers cool summers; deadhead to prevent self-seeding.
PropagationSow seed in early spring; divide plants in early spring or after flowering.
ProblemsFungal leaf spots
- Genus : Bellis
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Fall, Late Spring, Late Summer, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink, White, Yellow
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.