This dense, mat-forming species has 3-inch-tall evergreen foliage with toothed gray leaves. Its saucer-shaped flowers are deep blue with white eyes, and they bloom from early spring to summer. It is drought tolerant and makes a good groundcover. In garden sites, it needs protection from winter moisture.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis mat-forming Veronica is perfect for a rock garden, alpine house, or a trough.
CareProvide moderately fertile to poor, well-drained soil in full sun. Protect from winter moisture.
PropagationSow seeds in containers in a cold frame in autumn. Divide perennials in autumn or spring.
ProblemsScale insects, downy mildew, powdery mildew, rust, leaf smut, and root rot may occur.
- Genus : Veronica
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches