This compact species has cobweb-like, woolly foliage. The unique spherical flowerheads appear steely blue before maturing to a brighter blue. The late summer flowers add charm of form and texture to a mixed border.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe plants do well in a wide range of garden sites, from a wild garden to a cottage garden. The flowers are suitable for fresh cutting or drying.
CarePrefers poor, well-drained soil in full sun, but will tolerate a range of soils and partial shade. Deadhead to prevent self-sowing.
PropagationSow seed in mid-spring; divide in fall or spring.
- Genus : Echinops
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest