Mountain bluet is an excellent choice for the border or rock garden. Blue flowers open from attractive buds in late spring to midsummer, then leave behind a mass of vigorous, silvery green woolly foliage and woolly stems.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsBlue, spidery flowers. Self-seeds.
CareGrow in moist soil in sun or partial shade. Easy to divide in fall if it begins to crowd its neighbors. Self-seeds readily. May need staking.
PropagationDivide in fall.
ProblemsWhite mold, rust, downy and powdery mildew, thread blight, and Southern blight can occur.
- Genus : Centaurea
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest