This tree has lobed leaves that are green on top and gray-white beneath. It turns bright red in autumn. Its form can be round to open-headed.
CareGrow in slightly acidic soil for best fall coloration.
PropagationSow seeds in container or in situ. Graft in late winter; bud in late summer.
ProblemsAphids, scale, and caterpillars. Mites can cause leaf spot gall in several species. Fungal leaf spots and root rots are common.
- Genus : Acer
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 30 feet or more
- Plant Width : 30 feet or more
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.