Longspur barrenwort is a clump-forming, deciduous, rhizomatous perennial. Leaves, light green and flushed bronze when young, are heart-shaped with spiny margins. Four-petaled white, yellow, pink, or purple flowers, hanging in clusters, appear in mid- and late spring.
CareThrives in full to partial shade with rich, well-drained soil, but will grow well (although slower) in dry conditions.
PropagationDivide in autumn or after flowering. Root rhizome cuttings under glass in winter; plant out after danger of frost has passed.
ProblemsVine weevil and mosaic virus.
- Genus : Epimedium
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White, Yellow
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest