Deeply cut plum-purple leaves emerge in spring and stay true to color throughout the season. Lavender-blue flowers bloom beginning in late spring. ‘Midnight Reiter’ grows to only about 6 or 8 inches tall and twice as wide. More shade causes the foliage to be greener.
CareProvide full sun to part shade and well-drained soil. Cutting back the foliage after flowering will produce fresh leaves and a second flush of blossoms. Does not overwinter well in moist soils.
PropagationDivide in spring.
- Genus : Geranium
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Bloom Time : Spring, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.