Early in the season, the thin, heart-shaped leaves of this plant have a red tinge, which turns to bronze in fall. Plant red epimedium along a path, where its delicate foliage and tiny spring flowers can be admired. -Marty Hair, Regional Picks: Upper Midwest, Fine Gardening issue #127
CareFertile, moist, well-drained soil. Cut back the old foliage in late winter.
Propagation By division.
ProblemsNo serious problems.
- Genus : Epimedium
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Flower Color : Yellow