‘Wudang Star’ is a clump-forming, evergreen perennial with spiny, glossy foliage. New leaves emerge with bronzy pink edges before turning green in summer. Loose spikes of star-shaped white flowers, borne in spring, have prominent yellow stamens.
CareThrives in full to partial shade with rich, well-drained soil, but will grow well (although slower) in dry conditions.
PropagationDivide in autumn or after flowering. Root rhizome cuttings under glass in winter; plant out after danger of frost has passed.
ProblemsVine weevil and mosaic virus.
- Genus : Epimedium
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Late Spring, Spring
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White, Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.