This plant makes a riveting focal point in the border, with golden bracts with red centers that open just above the burgundy-tinted, dark green leaves in spring to summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsMilky sap may cause irritation to skin and severe discomfort if ingested.
CareThis plant prefers well-drained soil in full sun to partial shade.
PropagationSow seed of hardy perennials when ripe or in spring. Divide perennials in early spring.
ProblemsNematodes, spider mites, aphids, mealybugs, fungal and bacterial diseases.
- Genus : Euphorbia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 7, 8, 9
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.