Large palmate-leaved shrub with showy white 12-inch-tall blooms in summer, followed by smooth-skinned fruit. Leaves emerge bronze and turn yellow in autumn.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsAdaptable to a wide range of sites. Slowly suckers to create colonies, but is not invasive.
CareGrow in full sun to part shade and moist, but well-drained soil.
PropagationPropagate from suckers or seed.
ProblemsProne to canker, leaf blotch, scale, and Japanese beetles. Anthracnose, rust, and powdery mildew can occur.
- Genus : Aesculus
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast, Slow
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Uses : Shade
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.