This conical shrub to small tree has palmate leaves and bears red (sometimes yellow-marked) flowers in 6-inch panicles in summer, followed by smooth-skinned fruit. The flowers attract hummingbirds.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsU.S. native.
CareProvide full sun to part shade and moist but well-drained soil. Foliage suffers in dry conditions.
PropagationGraft in late winter or bud in summer. Can be propagated from suckers where applicable.
ProblemsProne to canker, leaf blotch, scale and Japanese beetles. Anthracnose, rust and powdery mildew can occur.
- Genus : Aesculus
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Showy Foliage
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Red, Yellow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.