Bright purplish-pink blooms are borne in clusters, before the leaves, along smooth gray branches. Heart-shaped leaves emerge bronze, turning green, then yellow in autumn. Cultivars are available with white ('Royal White') or pink flowers ('Tennessee Pink'), purple foliage ('Forest Pansy'), and weeping form ('Covey'). Grows 15 to 25 feet tall with a slightly wider spread.
CareSite in full sun or partial shade. Adaptable to a wide range of soil conditions, but thrives in moist, well-drained soil. Fairly trouble-free.
PropagationRoot semi-ripe cuttings or bud selected clones in summer.
ProblemsStem cankers and verticillium wilt can occur.
- Genus : Cercis
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Late Spring, Spring
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees