There are many cultivars available of this fast-growing annual. They are best used as bedding, edging, or container plants. Panicles of blue, pink, purple, or white flowerheads arise from oval, downy leaves in midsummer and continue until frost. They have a soft, fuzzy appearance and attract butterflies.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsFast grower. Mexican native.
CareGrow in full sun to partial shade in fertile, moist but well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seed at 61° to 64° F in early spring.
ProblemsSouthern blight, crown rot, root rot. During cool, wet weather Botrytis blight is a problem, while rust can be troublesome during dry summers.
- Genus : Ageratum
- Zones : 10, 11
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest