The intense scarlet red blooms and yellow centers of this bedding plant will stop you in your tracks. ‘Cosmic Red’ blooms all summer and looks great at the front of the border and in containers. As with other cosmos cultivars, grow this plant in full sun and moist, well-drained soil. The already hypnotic color will intensify as light levels increase.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsCosmos are loved by butterflies. Cultivar of a Mexican native plant. Moderately drought and heat tolerant.
CareGrow in full sun and moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil. Deadhead to prolong flowering, and also leave some seeds to self-sow.
PropagationSow seed in situ in late spring or at 61°F in mid-spring.
ProblemsStem canker, powdery mildew, Rhizoctonia stem rot, gray mold, aphids.
- Genus : Cosmos
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Flower Color : Red, Yellow
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest