Small white flowers appear in profusion on leafless branches in early spring. Heart-shaped leaves emerge bronze, turning green, then yellow in autumn. Another white-flowered selection, ‘Royal’, has slightly larger blooms and more compact growth.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsRare in the wild, this versatile tree reaches heights of 15 to 20 feet in full sun. It can survive the cold as far north as Zone 5 (-20°F).
CareSite in full sun or partial shade. Adaptable to a wide range of soil conditions, but thrives in moist, well-drained soil.
PropagationRoot semi-ripe cuttings or bud selected clones in summer.
ProblemsFairly trouble-free. Stem canker and verticillium wilt occur seldomly.
- Genus : Cercis
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Late Spring, Spring
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
- Flower Color : White