Crape myrtle is an upright deciduous tree or large shrub. Dark green leaves emerge bronze. White, pink, red, or purple flowers appear from summer to autumn. Peeling gray-and-brown bark is attractive.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsHybrids of L. indica and L. fauriei vary greatly in size, habit, hardiness, and resistance to powdery mildew.
CareThrives in moderately fertile, well-drained soil. Grow against a warm, sunny wall where marginally hardy or overwinter in a greenhouse. Can be hard pruned if renovation is required.
PropagationRoot softwood cuttings in late spring, or semi-ripe cuttings in summer.
ProblemsDieback, powdery mildew, aphids, scale insects, mealybugs, and whiteflies.
- Genus : Lagerstroemia
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Characteristics : Interesting Bark, Showy Seed Heads
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink, Red, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Trees