This mat-forming species forms a carpet of rosy-red flowers in late July and August, contrasting against green leaves with bronzy-maroon highlights.
CarePrefers moderately fertile but well-drained soil in full sun.
PropagationTake softwood cuttings or root leaves in early summer; start seed of hardy species in fall; divide in spring.
ProblemsMealybugs, scale, slugs, and snails.
- Genus : Sedum
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.