Panicum Ruby Ribbons’ soft blue-green foliage emerges in the spring on upright, clumping plants. The foliage takes on a wine-red color in early summer, which intensifies as the season progresses. Flower heads appear in late summer, followed by ornamental seed heads, which, if left uncut, provide long-lasting winter interest.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsRed, airy seed heads; blue-green foliage turns burgundy-red in mid-summer.
CareWater regularly, do not overwater.
PropagationBy dividing the rootball.
Problems Information provided by Santa Rosa Gardens
- Genus : Panicum
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Uses : Containers, Front Yard, Sun
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Late Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Flower Color : Red
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.