This compact shrub was bred by the noted horticulturist, Dr. Michael Dirr. It was selected not only for its small stature but also for its excellent disease resistance and standout flower color.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsBeautiful cherry red blooms; excellent mildew and disease resistance; low maintenance.
CareDeadhead after blooming; pruning is not required due to the plant’s dwarf habit
PropagationPropagation of this cultivar is prohibited
ProblemsInformation provided by Gardener’s Confidence® Collection
- Genus : Lagerstroemia
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers, Front Yard, Sun
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Flower Color : Red
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Growth Rate : Slow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.