This easy-going annual has 2- to 3-inch-wide blue flowers with black centers and wine-colored stamens, along with light green ferny foliage. Striking chalice-shaped seedpods form on sturdy stems and are green when they emerge, turning tan as they harden.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUntroubled by disease or pests. Combines well with many types of annuals and perennials.
CareFlowers well in full sun or partial shade, in rich or lean soil. Water moderately in the heat of summer.
PropagationSow seeds in full sun and well-drained soil in spring.
- Genus : Nigella
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Seed Heads
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest