This species produces copious purplish-blue flowers in spring and fall. It has light green ferny leaves with a mid-rib of silver.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsBiennial, but self-seeds in abundance.
CarePrefers partial shade and moist, well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seed when fresh; germination may be erratic; divide in fall.
ProblemsDowny mildew, rust, aphids, slugs, snails; spider mites indoors.
- Genus : Corydalis
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Fall, Late Spring, Spring
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Self Seeds, Showy Foliage
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.