Red-hot pokers are known for their interesting flowers which come in shades of red, orange, and yellow. Native to South Africa, these plants are surprisingly cold hardy (potentially to Zone 5).
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUnique, hot-colored flowers
CareRemove spent flower stalks; Crown might need winter mulch in Zone 5.
PropagationDivide in spring.
ProblemsRoots can rot in wet soil
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet, 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Uses : Color, Dry areas, Sun
- Tolerance : Disease resistant, Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Foliage Color : Green
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Multicolored, Red
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest