This clump-forming perennial has deep to mid-green leaves and dense clusters of small white, pale rose-pink, or dark crimson flowers in long, slender stems. It blooms from late spring to late summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsExtremely drought tolerant. Self-seeds freely.
CareGrow in well-drained soil in full sun. Prefers alkaline soil.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring. Divide in early spring
- Genus : Centranthus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Late Summer, Spring, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Self Seeds
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.