This tropical annual produces mounds of narrow burgundy-red foliage and purple plumes to 1 foot long. It is invaluable for containers and stunning, annual foliage color in a border. It rarely sets seed.
CareGrow in light, average, well-drained soil in full sun. Cut back previous year's foliage by early spring.
PropagationDivide in late spring or early autumn. Sow seed in early spring at 55° to 65°F.
- Genus : Pennisetum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Flower Color : Red
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.