Pink, bottle-brush flowers rise well above arching clumps of graceful foliage in summer. This grass is beautiful in a mixed border, rock garden, or massed at waterside. It blooms in June with pink plumes.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsCompact tuft of grass with abundant fuzzy pink flower spikes.
CareSite in full sun and light, fertile, well-drained soil. Cut back the previous year's growth by early spring.
PropagationStart seeds indoors in early spring at 55-64° F, or divide plants in late spring or early summer.
ProblemsUsually problem-free, but rust, eye spot, and other leaf spots sometimes affect plants.
- Genus : Pennisetum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.