Native to South Africa, this non-invasive evergreen species produces showy pink flowers in spring, which are held 2 to 3 feet above the foliage on stiff, wiry stalks.
CareGrow in light, average, well-drained soil in full sun. Cut back previous year's foliage by early spring.
PropagationDivide in late spring or early autumn. Sow seed in early spring at 55° to 65°F.
ProblemsRust, eye spot, leaf spots.
- Genus : Pennisetum
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest