'Purple Fountain' is a deciduous, columnar, dark-leaved tree with bronze-purple, wavy margined leaves and cascading branches. Leaves become more green as summer wears on. It can be used as a specimen tree or for pleaching. It is similar to the purple weeping beech but is much more columnar. Fall color is yellow, then orange-brown.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsCascading, columnar form. Dark purple foliage.
CareGrow in full sun (for best purple color) or partial shade and most any soil type as long as it is well-drained.
PropagationSow seed in autumn or in spring (after winter stratification). Graft in mid-winter.
ProblemsLimb canker, powdery mildew, butt and wood rot, bracket fungi.
- Genus : Fagus
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Trees