This cultivar of pearl millet has wide, deep purple foliage and stems. It forms a 5-foot-high specimen with tight cylindrical flowers of purple-brown seeds—a favorite of many birds. This plant makes a stunning container specimen. In the mixed border, its foliage contrasts nicely with other plants.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsStriking foliage and flowers. Good cut or dried flower. Millet attracts birds.
CareGrow in light, average, well-drained soil in full sun.
PropagationSow seed in early spring at 55° to 65°F.
ProblemsRust, eye spot, leaf spots.
- Genus : Pennisetum
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest