This plant has thin, strap-like foliage that tends to twist. It produces up to 30 long-lasting, 12- to 40-inch-tall pink or lilac flowers in mid- to late summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsAttractive to hummingbirds.
CareProvide full sun to part shade and most any well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seed in spring in containers or in situ. Divide clump-forming plants in spring.
ProblemsBulb rot in damp conditions. Onion fly and thrips.
- Genus : Allium
- Zones : 10, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Plant Type : Bulbs
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.