This is the last of the ornamental onions to flower, when mop-like heads of rose-purple flowers appear with orange anthers. The flowers are impervious to frost or snow. Superior cultivars include ‘Ozawa’, with larger purple flower heads than the species. A white-flowered form known as A. thunbergii ‘Alba’ is a splendid plant, with cup-shaped florets sporting white stamens, yellow anthers, and green centers.
CareProvide full sun to part shade and average, well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seed in spring in containers or in situ. Divide clump-forming plants in spring.
ProblemsBulb rot in damp conditions. Onion fly and thrips.
- Genus : Allium
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Fragrant Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Red
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest