This plant produces open clusters of pinkish purple, droplet-shaped flowers along drooping, arching 2-foot-tall stems. Its foliage is bluish green.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe most remarkable feature of the nodding onion is its adaptability. It will grow in almost any situation, from full sun to deep shade.
CareBest grown in full sun and dry to medium, well-drained soil. Tolerates shade as well, especially in hot climates.
PropagationSow seed in spring in containers or in situ. Divide clump-forming plants in spring.
ProblemsBulb rot in damp conditions. Onion fly and thrips.
- Genus : Allium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest