This upright bellflower grows to 4 or 5 feet with rounded leaves and conical spires of bell-shaped flowers in shades of blue, violet, or white.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSelf seeds. Native to Turkey and the Caucasus.
CareProvide full sun to part shade and moist but well-drained soil. May require staking.
PropagationSow seed in containers in a cold frame in spring. Divide in spring or autumn. Take basal cuttings in spring.
ProblemsSlugs, snails, vine weevils, spider mites and aphids. Powdery mildew, rust, Spetoria and Ramularia leaf spot and Southern blight.
- Genus : Campanula
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.