This prolific cultivar has dark green foliage and bears nodding blue flowers from mauve buds. It grows to a compact height of 18 inches tall. It may become invasive and difficult to eradicate once established.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe foliage may cause skin irritation, and if ingested, may cause serious discomfort.
CareGrow in moist soil in full sun to partial shade. After flowering, the plant may be cut back to produce a flush of new foliage. Wait until early spring to cut foliage back to prevent winter rot.
PropagationDivide in spring, take root cuttings in early winter, or sow seed in spring or fall.
- Genus : Symphytum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Fragrant Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Bloom Time : Late Spring, Spring
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.