This notably beautiful plant produces huge, elongated banana-shaped leaves, which are arfully edged in luminescent yellow. The rosette sits at 18 inches tall, and in early summer the plant bears clusters of mauve-pink bells atop stems that are 4 to 5 feet tall.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLarge, variegated leaves and tall flower stems. The foliage may cause skin irritation, and if ingested, may cause serious discomfort.
CareGrow in moist soil in full sun to partial shade. After flowering, the plant may be cut back to produce a flush of new foliage. Otherwise, wait until early spring to cut foliage back to prevent winter rot.
PropagationDivide in spring, take root cuttings in early winter, or sow seed in spring or fall.
- Genus : Symphytum
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Fragrant Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer