From late spring to early summer, this species bears pendent, green-tipped white flowers along arching stems. These mature into spherical black fruit in autumn, when the foliage turns yellow.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThese rhizomatous perennials are well suited to woodlands, naturalized areas, shady borders, and rock gardens. All parts of the plant may cause irritation if ingested.
CareGrow in fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full to partial shade.
PropagationSow seed in autumn in a cold frame; divide plants in autumn or spring.
ProblemsSlugs, sawfly larvae.
- Genus : Polygonatum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Fruit
- Uses : Ground Covers, Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.