This early-blooming compact shrub bears intriguing pine-cone-shaped flowers that have dark-purple bracts, or “rabbit ears.” Bloom appears from late spring to summer. The foliage is gray-green.
CareRequires good drainage; do not overwater. Grow at the base of a warm, sunny wall or in a container for overwintering. Grow in moderately fertile, well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seed in containers in a cold frame in spring. Layer or take semi-ripe cuttings in summer.
ProblemsFusarium root rot and leaf spot.
- Genus : Lavandula
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 8, 9
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Fragrant Foliage
- Light : Full Sun
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest