California poppies grow to about 12 inches tall, and their pretty foliage is ferny, like carrot tops. They come in a variety of colors, from the standard golden orange, to yellow, cream, and red. Grow them in a border or rock garden.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe flowers close in cloudy weather. Native to western North America.
CareProvide sandy, very well-drained soil in full sun. California poppies will not tolerate poor drainage.
PropagationSow seed in situ in spring or early autumn. Sow seed in succession for a continuous display.
- Genus : Eschscholzia
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink, Red, White, Yellow
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest