The “flowers” of black rose. are actually rosettes of burgundy-black leaves at the ends of stalklike stems. In winter, bright yellow flowers contrast with the dark foliage. ‘Zwartkop’ is a wonderful backdrop plant that can show off many companion plants to maximum advantage. -Jeff Moore, Regional Picks: Southwest, Fine Gardening issue #120
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis winter-blooming succulent has rosettes of blackish leaves that resemble flowers.
CareProvide full sun and well-drained soil.
PropagationTake cuttings in early summer.
- Genus : Aeonium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Foliage Color : Black, Purple/Burgundy
- Plant Type : Cacti and Succulents
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Winter
- Flower Color : Yellow