Aloe is best known as a medicinal plant ( Aloe vera , Zones 10-11), but there are many beautiful aloes as well. Most have amazing winter flowers, and some, have interesting foliage color. Red aloe has color that varies from green to a deep, red wine hue, depending on sun and water. and, over time, will form beautiful red-purple mounds with orange flowers. It is easily propagated from cuttings. -Jeff Moore, Regional Picks: Southwest, Fine Gardening issue #120
Noteworthy CharacteristicsWine red foliage, if conditions are right.
CareProvide full sun and well-drained soil.
PropagationEasily propagated from cuttings.
ProblemsMealybugs, scale, Pythium root rot, bacterial soft rot, fungal stem rot, leaf rot.
- Genus : Aloe
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Type : Cacti and Succulents
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Winter