Totally Tempted™ cuphea has nonstop, bright red summer flowers that don't need deadheading. It doesn't mind summer heat and has a more compact habit than most cultivars in this species, growing to just a foot tall and a little wider.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsC. llavea is native to Mexico. Its showy flowers are said to resemble a bat's face. Attracts hummingbirds.
CareProvide full sun and moist but well-drained soil. Tolerates some drought.
ProblemsAphids, thrips, whiteflies.
- Genus : Cuphea
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Fall, Late Spring, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Red
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.